


(Ask me how that's going when I have 3 raging teenage girls)
I took away both Taylor's and Ginny's binky's at 9 months. We had a rough couple of nights, but we survived. With Reese I let her have it longer. She's almost 16 months, so last week we decided it was time for her to give it up. She only uses to fall asleep, how hard can it be?
Boy were we wrong!
Day 1: First nap, she cried for over an hour before falling asleep. Second nap, she cried for about 20 minutes. Bedtime, only about 30 minutes.
Day 2: First nap, 5 minutes of crying. Second nap, no crying. Bedtime, 20 minutes.
Day 3: All hell breaks loose. She's sick of not having her binky. First nap, she cries for over an hour. Second nap, cried for over an hour until I finally let her out of her crib. We attempted 45 minutes later and she cried for 35 minutes. By then it was dinner time, so I got her out of her crib. Bedtime, cried for 45 minutes.
Finally that night, just as I'm falling asleep, she starts crying. She cried off and on for over an hour. I finally decided to let her have some milk. She guzzles it down, and when I try to take away her sippy, she pitches a WICKED fit! She had discovered that sucking on her sippy cup was similar to her binky. By now it's 2 in the morning and I haven't gotten any sleep. I went to her closet , got out her binky's and said,"I hope your happy you little stinker."
She had won the battle!
Although I'm sad that I was beaten out by a 15 month old, I must say that she does not take her binky for granted. When it's time to go to sleep, she grabs that thing and we don't hear a peep from her until morning.
I guess that we will have to wait until she understands giving it to another baby or something.
On the positive side, that kid is hilarious. She is so determined to be like her big sisters. She LOVES to brush her teeth, has to eat her food like we do (not cut up), loves to take showers, and loves putting on hats, gloves, tutu's, you name it. At any given time of the day you will usually find her wearing either gloves, or a hat. She has figured out how to play while still wearing the mittens that her aunt bought her for Christmas.
Gotta love the kid!

9 comments:
Oh ... I'm so glad you gave her back her binky. She's such a good thing with it. And the pictures of her are darling. I miss the girls. It's time for you to come out and visit.
QUITTER!!! If you would have just made it through the third night, you probably would have been ok. Oh well. In the big picture, it's not like she'll be sucking that thing and trying to talk at the same time. If she does, I'll steal it away from her and tell her if she sucks it again, Santa Clause is coming to burn the town. Remember when you were weaning Tay from the binki and DJ gave it back to her when you were at work? Funny.
Little Abby finally found her thumb. It's the cuttest thing ever. Cute pictures of my niece. Love the peanut butter sandwich that's as big as her cute little face.
I am so glad I was able to take Addie's binky away so effortlessly. It seems as though she's that way though, she rolls with the punches for the most part. I know I will get a little boy next who is cuddly, and who will be attached to lots of stuff, and he'll be sucking on a binky till he's 6!
Reesie is so grown up. It does wonders for kids who have older siblings.
I am happy to say NONE of my kids had a binky. Not that I didn't want them to (believe me, I tried and tried with Faye, she had colic and was a horrible baby for a few months). They only took it in the hospital and once we got home they wanted nothing to do with it. I don't think it's that big of a deal if it's just to go to bed, but I have to admit when I see kids walking around with them, it totally bugs me. Ya know, when they are talking outta the side of their mouth, like they've got a cig in there too.
Luv the naked bum pic, BUT FYI showers and kids freak me out. For good reason. Faye slipped in our shower when she was 2 1/2 and cut her head on the metal part of the door. There was blood everywhere, it looked like a murder scene. She was ok, but had to have 4 staples in the back of her head. I couldn't wash her hair until they came out, so she had this creepy pink hair for 3 or 4 days.
The binky was never an issue with Ellie---she took it if I gave it to her, but she never needed it. I was worried about taking Ben's away but there wasn't much of a problem there, either.
Taking showers, on the other hand, was a nightmare! Neither of them wanted to take showers; Ben would scream the entire time (he has noise issues, which is funny considering how loud he is---I hope his hearing is all right). But because getting my kids to take showers took such a long time, when Ellie saw the picture of Reese in the shower she said, "Wow! When did she get so big?!" I told her that Reese is still kind of a baby but she must be very brave and Ellie said, "Yeah, she must be a genius baby!" I concur, Ellie. I concur.
When Maya was 9 months old, one day she spit out her binky (I mean she really sent that thing flying across the room) and she would never take it again. It was instant and irrevocable.
BUT before you hate me too much, let me just point out that she didn't start sleeping through the night until four.
All things considered, I think I'd take the binky.
If the binky means you get a good night's sleep, I say let her husband deal with it.
I remember the "binky fight" well! OH-THE-JOY!!! If you look on the bright side, at least she's not a thumb-sucker! Even with all of the grief she is causing you, she is still absolutely adorable :-)
Let's trade - I'll hid the binky and you can potty train Chloe. Your girls are so adorable. Looking at them is like seeing you... makes me miss sleepovers and grandma's backyard.
Post a Comment