Friday, April 10, 2009

Falling Apart...


I live for the crazy, unexpected crap that comes out of nowhere.
(Hopefully you know that I'm being sarcastic)!
Here's just a few of the lovely things we've enjoyed...

DJ has been playing basketball 3 times a week for a couple of months now. He had been wearing running shoes, and finally decided to break down and buy some basketball shoes (a big step for el' cheapo) .As soon as he did, he sprained his ankle prett badly. He could barely walk. Basketball was out of the question for a couple of weeks, and since I was jealous that he had dropped 20 pounds without even trying, I of course stocked up on Coke and made cookies about every other day.

Well, just as soon as he was feeling well enough to play, he woke up with a fever and MAJOR chills. Reese followed shortly behind, and they both spent the weekend sick. Doctor visits on Monday confirmed strep for both of them. Apparently it is going around pretty strongly.

DJ's doctor gave him a shot of antibiotics, and he didn't even pass out (what a big boy). He told the nurse that he would have to lay down and suck on a piece of candy in order to survive. Unbeknownst to him, they gave him a "Charlie Brown" bandaid. Of course we all got a kick out of that. The next morning he was making his breakfast and when he reached down to scratch his butt ,Taylor asked him if his charlie brown was itching. So of course that's now the phrase of the week at our house.

Well, it didn't end there. As soon as DJ started to feel better, he got this really sharp pain in his lower chest. The left side of his chest was swollen, it hurt to move, and he couldn't take a deep breath. After a day and half of the pain, he called the doctor, who put him on Aleve twice a day. I have no idea what was wrong with him, but he's feeling better.

During all of the crazy sickness, Ginny had a mild cold, and she kept saying that she was just as sick as Reese and Dad. Well, during family prayer Tay asked that Dad and Reese would get better. Just as she said this, we hear this little voice say, "and me." So of course Taylor threw Ginny's name in there too.

Luckily, no one else has gotten sick in our house.

Also, Ginny had to make sure that I mentioned the fact that she is now big enough to ride in a booster seat. Okay, technically she is 1 1/2 pounds shy. She only weighs 38 1/2, but she'll be 5 in a couple of days and she really wanted to be a big girl. Since Tay's extra booster is 5 years old, we get to go buy a new one... lucky us.

I must be off to hide glow in the dark eggs for the 100th time this week. The kids never get sick of it.

Happy Easter!

7 comments:

Kristin said...

You love sickness....come on, got you out of activity days didn't it! Hope your wuss, I mean husband, does ok the rest of this month....not a good start! Glad you have managed to stay healthy, also glad you have stuck with the coke! Oh, and please tell my BFF she looks AWESOME in her new booster, I can't wait to hear all about it!

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

Ah, Strep throat, I love it!

Brian was playing the easter bunny this week too until he went down.

Ginny only weighs 38 pounds?! Addie weighs 33.4 pounds. That is so hilarious. My little amazon girl, taking after her mama.

I am glad no one else got sick at your house. Just me taking care of Brian has been horrible. I hope we don't get it!

Natalie said...

I'm with La. I laugh at your bird children whilst holding my little Ama'z on my lap (grunt).

So sorry about the sickness chain of events. But, it makes for a good laugh. Tell Deej to look up "diverticulitis" on web md. Neal's got it - it flares up when he drinks too much sodie.

Tell Ginny she looks hot in her new booster.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Eli only weighs 34 lbs! He would love to be in a booster.... :(

Sarah Lee said...

Chest pain? that is scary. We've got the good ol' pink today at our house. Strep was 2 months ago.
I think Daphne weighs about 38 pounds and I have had her in a booster since she was about 3 and 1/2 (at which time she probably weighed 33-5-ish). I had another one who needed her seat and didn't want to buy another one of the same carseats. Darn, no Mother of the year for me.

Richelle said...

I love that you try to sabatoge DJ's diet the first chance you get!!! Sadly, I am the same way. Joe can drop 10 pounds in 2 days while eating burritos & burgers. It's just not fair!!! Keep on baking ;-)

The Price Family said...

Sounds like a crazy week. Good thing you have the coke to help keep you sane... LOL! I'm with you on hiding the eggs a million times - I'm still doing it for Chloe!