WARNING: Nasty pictures...



Before stitches... (these pictures make the cut look mild)
This is what happens when your 2 yr old likes to climb on the stool, pull herself onto the counter to drink from the faucet, then misses the stool on the way down and catches herself with her chin on the edge of the counter... and don't forget her tongue was between her teeth.
I discovered why I was meant to have girls. Stitches don't happen too often in a house full of girls, and for that I am thankful. I was fine with the blood but once I saw that big chunk of tongue just hanging down, my stomache did a little flip.
The Doctor said it was bad enough for stitches, but warned us that the tongue is the hardest part to stitch.... that was an understatement!
Reese was fine until the Dr gave her a shot in the tongue, then she wouldn't open her mouth for anyone.
It took 4 adults holding her down, and after a half an hour, she was only able to get 2 stitches in. The poor nurse had to force her tongue out with a tongue depressor (resulting in those gross sores on the corner of her mouth) while the Dr tried to grab and keep a hold of her tongue with one hand, while stitching with the other.
Let's just say that Reese is freakishly strong for her size, and we were all dripping sweat when it was over with. Why they didn't drug her, I will never know.
So, if you ever have a kid who needs stitches in the mouth, make sure that they give them something strong to relax them.
It's pretty funny watching Reese try to eat or drink now. She holds her cup to the one corner of her mouth and drinks sideways. Today at lunch she pointed to her face and said, "Dis side have owie, but not dis side. I dwink wif dis side."
I guess if I had boys, this would have been no big deal...
11 comments:
Holy Crap!! Those pictures are NASTY...thanks for the warning! You are my hero! I cannot imagine how fun that ER visit was. Good thing you are so brave and strong!
And...good thing you remembered your camera! I love that we document nasty stuff!
My poor, poor Reesie Poo! I told Addie that she got an owie on her tongue and her eyes welled up with tears, "Oh, my Reesie. I need to give her a kiss."
For reals, I still can't believe they didn't send her over to the ER and had a sedation team sedate her a bit. What a brave girl!
Poor thing! Sedation probably would have been a good idea for a 2 year old getting those kinds of stitches!
I have 2 boys and so far no stitches or breaks. Knock on wood. that is an impressive wound though, now I guess she might as well go with a tongue piercing.
Oh, that is nasty. Every parent gets to deal with those kinds of owies sometime in their career. Poor girl. How the heck did the Deej handle that one? Chunk of tongue is NOT very good looking. We learned with Sarah's mouth injuries that the mouth heals super fast. So that's good at least. Hey, maybe she'll talk with a listhp the rest of her life now. . .
Yuck!!! Seriously...if you would have gone to the ER or up to Primary, she would have been sedated for sure. That just sounds awful!
THAT MAKES MY TONGUE HURT!!!
Poor little thing.
I had no idea that they could stitch up a tongue...guess that if it's bad enough...
I can't believe Natalie didn't mention her tongue incident on here! I didn't know her at the time, but Sam said it was wicked awesome when she licked pickle juice off a knife and sliced her tongue! SHUDDER!!!
Those pics of Reese's tongue made my toes curl and cramp. After all is said and done though, super awesome blog material! ha ha!
Holy Cow! I was going to say the same thing as Sarah...Primary's is FAR superior with stuff like that- sedation would have been so helpful! It's too bad it's so much farther away :( Poor little Reese! She is so stinkin cute--and you are awesome for remembering your camera in a time of crisis!!!
luckily, not only do mouth injuries heal fast, but they don't really hurt that much either. I had my tongue pierced (shocker, i know) and it dit NOT hurt at all to do it.
Should've just thrown a barbel in there, spiked her hair and added black eyeliner.
I hear ya though on the kids freaking out and wondering why they don't just drug em up and put em out of their misery.
That is seriously sick! The poor girl. I still cannot believe that she bit her tongue that hard and they did not sedate her. They were going to sedate Crew just for his eye, but couldn't because he was sick. Weird.
Poor girl...I will be interested to see if it scars... I have never seen a scarred tongue before. You will have to take some after pictures too.
Post a Comment