Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Summer Came and Went

After a long 3 weeks of Summer, the kids are back to school. I love year round school all year long, until Summer. The breaks are great during the year, but it is just cruel to make kids go to school during the Summer. Luckily, we were able to enjoy it a bit.
Tay had her best buddy/cousin, Logan sleep over, and they had a blast together. Those two have had a crazy bond since birth. The only way to explain it is to say that they are "kindred spirits"... I love Anne of Green Gables.
Lots of Swimming...





And Parks...



Ginny lost her first 2 teeth. Actually, they weren't lost, the dentist pulled them out and put them in a tiny treasure chest. At least it didn't take 2 trips to the dentist, like it did Taylor a few months back. Is it mean to say that Taylor is a giant wimp?
After that, the Tooth Fairy spent the night in our doll house again, and left her usual trail of sparkles and a tiny note for Ginny. She even left her pink bath robe behind, so Ginny had to write her a note to come and pick it up. Ginny will believe anything, it's fun!





Before I knew it, it was back to school. Taylor is a giant 5th grader now. So giant that she sneaks my shoes and is starting to wear non kid clothes. I wish we could share clothes, that would make me super skinny. I think I was her size in about the 8th or 9th grade. She is going to be tall. Her new teacher lives in my in - laws neighborhood, and Taylor loves her.

In even bigger news, Ginny is now in the first grade. I was so nervous for her to start a new year. She had a rough time in Kindergarten, but is doing AWESOME in 1st grade!
She gets ready for school with no complaints and comes home happy. I help out in her class every week, and today I almost started crying when I saw how amazing her teacher is with her. It's a shame that good teachers don't get paid six figures.

Last, we spent some time with my family up in the mountains. We had a great time! These are all of the grandkids, minus my super cool nieces from Oregon. My kids are the really dirty ones.


I love Logan's crazy eyes and Ginny's dirt goatee. When she saw herself in the mirror that night, she said, "I look like a hobo!"
She really did. I had to hose her down in the yard before she could come in the house. She was so dirty that even after I showered her, I still found dirt on her legs, while I was lotioning her. I guess they have to make up for being so clean most of the time.
They were some tired kids...

Hopefully we can get in some more fun before Summer actually ends... between 3:45 and 7 pm.
It is so quiet with 2/3 of my kids in school all day, and 1/3 of them napping for 3 hours every afternoon. I wish I could say that my house reflected all of that free time, but it doesn't. In fact, I have started a new food storage system. It's in the form of crumbs on my kitchen floor. My cordless vaccuum broke and apparently I have forgotten how to use a broom. Brooms are evil.
Peace out!











8 comments:

Carrie said...

Love the update! dirt goatees are just part of summertime fun. :) Your final paragraph sums up how I feel these days as well. 2/3 of my kids are in school all day and then there's Cameron....it's a bizarre transition, isn't it?
Love you guys, love your family!

Hendricksonblog said...

What the crap!!! I jumped a little inside after seeing your once cute girls photo morphed into this creaturesque photo. I really should get that app Laurel has. Does it turn troll looking children into normal looking ones?

Natalie said...

I'm so happy to see your dirty kids!!! It's good for you, mama. And Ginny looks AWESOME! I'm still giggling. You KNOW my kids would have given yours a run for the money. Looks like Ginny is trying to be the bandaid mummy just like her mom!

Natalie said...

Ok, my comment disapeared.

I LOVE Ginny's hobo face! So cute and so liberating as a mother to say WTH! with it and let them stink up the joint.

I'm glad Ginny likes first grade. And Tay is getting really tall!

Melinda said...

I love that you put that picture in your title. It made me laugh. It's the scariest picture EVER.

That picture of two dirty little girls sound asleep is adorable. They must have had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Seriously...you need to change that pic at the top of the girls, I hate seeing their faces all creepy!

Sarah Lee said...

our summer came and went... and then came again. We are on C track... eh, it's weird.

I love your tooth fairy leavign behind her robe story, cute. And, I'M at NERD and was like "oooh, look at that barbie house and furniture. Where are they from?" I'm a Barbie girl what can I say and when my girls got the big house a couple years back I was so excited!

I can't believe you have a 5th grader! weird.

Happy to see your kids dirty. I know how hard that must have been for you.

Heidi said...

I just have to tell you that me and Jeff sit and giggle every time we look at your blog. Especially when that first picture pops up on the screen. That is truly priceless.