Monday, September 13, 2010

Yellowstone 2010

We ventured out to Yellowstone at the end of August. That place never ceases to amaze me. It is so beautiful. The old man and the kids had never been, so we figured they were long over due. We headed up with DJ's little brother, his wife, and their yummy little 4 month old. We stayed in West Yellowstone and checked the weather right before we left... 60's during the day, 30's during the night. Perfect, since we weren't camping. Well, apparently it gets ALOT colder in the park, which is weird because we could walk to the park entrance from our condo. Ya, it was barely in the 40's!! We froze. I didn't think that we needed coats, just jackets. Oh well, lesson learned.
Of coarse we saw a million buffalo. DJ freaked when I rolled down my window as one was walking by. Ya, like a window would protect me. He worries like that. I just rolled it down and laughed. I'm evil like that. Now you know why he's going bald. I like to freak him out.


Reese was determined to see a bear...




We found a bear carved out of wood, and apparently she didn't like it. I just laughed and took pictures.

I took the 2 older girls out shopping while everyone else napped one day. The girls had money burning holes in their pockets. Of all the cool things you can buy, Ginny only wanted polished rocks. She was obsessed. She kept track of which store had the ones she wanted. Tay was nice enough to buy us ice cream, they were nice enough to share with a buffalo statue. This one is EXACTLY like her Dad. I'm sure that had Tay not immitated this bear, DJ would have. They crack me up.


They had to pose with EVERYTHING! Since it was so cold, we didn't really get any action shots. We just ran from the car to the cool sites, then back to the car.


Of course we had to test out the bear traps...


At the Bear and Wolf discovery center. That is where they relocate "naughty" bears, and orphaned cubs. It was pretty cool, but I hate paying money for stuff. Free would have made it way more cool.




They thought they were hilarious, pretending to be attacked by a giant metal bear. I'm sure everyone does that.


This bear was fun to watch. When they let him into the viewing area he ran to this tall tree, stood up to it, and shook it until the big bird feeder fell out of it. Then he kept chasing the birds away who wanted his spilled bird seed. Glad we didn't run into him in the wild, he was huge.


And last, this is what I'm married to. Yes, we see the wolf sniffing your bum, haha!

We also see the wolf pooping. My kids got a good laugh at that one. They share their dad's humor. Okay, Mom's too.
We had a fun time. Hopefully we can go again next summer, maybe when it's warmer. Since we've now seen all of the big tourist spots, we can spend less time in the car and more time exploring.

8 comments:

Melinda said...

I thought the wolf was biting his bum. Sniffing his bum is way funnier :)

Natalie said...

He bit after he sniffed. He liked what he smelled.

That's hilarious that Reese cried when she was on the bear. And I laugh that you went to Wyoming with only jackets. Tsk tsk. Remember our trip years ago and it was freaking COLD!! When grandma and grandpa went with and taught big Reese the song "I love to go swimmin' with bare naked women!" Oh, so fun.

Hendricksonblog said...

Just like I said a few seconds ago to Angie Backman, I have never been to yellowstone and now I am just jealous.

Karly said...

YOU CRACK ME UP SO BAD!!!
I am glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

My kids get excited when we are driving and see anything poop, they giggle for hours but so do I.

We were just there and we froze too, what the heck?

Your girls are to die for gorgeous, get a metal bear and keep it by your front door! Just saying!

Kristin said...

Looks like fun...sorda! Ok, family time is always fun, and you have the cutest family!

Sarah Lee said...

You are just like your mom... no, not sweet and always smiling, a terror! Who'm i kidding I love teasing my kids to. What are they for if not my entertainment?

We went to Yellowstone about 4 or 5years ago, it was so fun. We went in July and even then we were wearing jeans and jackets. We were like 5 minutes late to every bear siting. I was bummed. But those huge Buffalo sitting just feet from our car was pretty amazing. Until you are that close to one, you really can't even imagine how large they are.

Faye and Daff got some of them sweet polished rocks in a little satchel too. They thought they were the bees knees.

Lindsey said...

I love your pictures! It's making me so excited that we are heading to Yellowstone early next summer, but now I really want to go to West Yellowstone.