Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Drowning My Tears In A Coke

This is my little Ginny, 3 years ago, sending Tay off to first grade. She followed her sister all the way up to the doors and was sad when she couldn't go in.

Now here she is today, super excited for her first day in Kindergarten.
I can't say that I was happy... I bawled like a baby all the way to the school.

Of course Reese had to get in on the action and wear a backpack too.
Had she not needed a nap so badly, she probably would have put up a fight when I didn't let her follow Ginny into the school.


This is Ginny with her neighbor and friend, Tyler. They enjoyed the playground until the whistle blew for school to start.



Before the teacher took them in, she taught them how to do the "I Love You" sign in sign language. Ginny didn't quite get it down... she's just holding up an arthritic claw.
That girl never stops making me laugh!





And off they went. They wanted to make sure that I got a picture of their backpacks. I love the fact that Ginny does not mind hand me downs. Taylor used that backpack from kindergarten through half of 3rd grade. Lucky for me, it still looks practically brand new.





And Last, the PTA had a "Kleenex Party" for all of the kindergarten mom's. Reese quickly forgot about Ginny as soon as she saw the mini muffins and juice.
So that was my crappy afternoon. It is almost 2 in the afternoon, my 2 older kids are at school, Reese is napping, and I'm sitting here at the computer crying. I should be cleaning my bathrooms or mopping my kitchen, but I'm too sad right now.
I cry every year on the first day of school, but for some reason today has been especially hard. Maybe it's because I went through so much crap to get Ginny here, I don't know. All I know is that I only have one kid left at home and I'm not ready for Ginny to grow up.
Oh well, Homeschooling her would do more harm than good, so I guess that I have to get used to sending her off every day.
Boooooo! (maybe more like Boo-Hoo)!






8 comments:

Lindsey said...

Sure, make me cry!! I can hardly believe that Ginny, Ethan and Ellie are all going to be in kindergarten this year?! Nuts! I have been preparing Ellie for the fact that I will cry when I take her to school but that doesn't mean she needs to be nervous (she gets anxious about me missing her). Good luck!

Natalie said...

I love Ginny's little arthritic claw. "CAW! CAW!"

That's sad she's in k-garten. I cried with the first, but by the time Kate went, I smiled and had a few tugs at the heart-strings, but that's about it. I think with the rest of the kids, I'll be dropping them off at school, then zooming off to par-TAY!

You're right, I think you should leave their education up to the school district. Look where home school has gotten her so far. Not lookin' good.

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

Sheesh! What's wrong with you all. I'm sure I'll just do the drive by and make Addie jump out of the car while still in motion on her first day of school. There'll be no crying here.*

*Just give me 3 more years, I'm sure I'll be eating my words.

Sarah Lee said...

maybe not Laurel... I don't cry either. And, I don't think it's sad... at all. weirdos. Quiet-er house, one less kid... woo hoo! I might be sad when Phoebe goes... maybe not. Then I can finally start watching the trashy soaps and eating bon bons.

Hendricksonblog said...

Its so neat you clean a room and you go into the next room and its "not" messed up. You know why? haha ha they are at school being someone elses messes. I love my kids but I hate messes. I love seeing them get smart....or smart mouthed....either way. How cute that some Moms are sad though huh Sarah?
FYI my word verification word is fulyck......is that just the f-word with a few letters in the middle....who is in charge of these?

Melinda said...

You should have called me. I would have been happy to send a couple of kids over.

I cried on my way out of the parking lot on Hayden's first day of preschool. It lasted until I got around the corner. Then I went to the grocery store and thought I was in heaven.

I'm sure I'll be sad dropping off both boys this year, but I'm so excited to have 5 daytime hours without them every week.

Nancy said...

I love your back-to-school post. Your girls are getting so big and it's hard to believe that little Ginny (and Nat) are in Kindergarten! I'm actually looking forward to it (no tears here!) but talk to me again when I'm sending Emmy off...BTW, Ginny is absolutely gorgeous. What a photogenic kid!
BTW, loved your Oregon post(s)!!! Got behind on reading blogs and wanted to make sure you knew how cute they were. What a great vacation and I was so proud of you for taking SO many pics! It was fun to have a play by play of all the activities. You and your sisters would be so fun to travel with - maybe one day huh?

Heidi said...

I must be a bad mom, because I think I did a cheer when Jake started school this year! What can I say? I love the free time! Your girls are darling, and I cannot believe Ginny is in kindergarten! I thought she started next year! Crazy...