Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Shoot Me Now Please!


So Taylor and Ginny had their yearly checkups on Monday. Every year they ask if they have to get shots. This year, I was pleased to tell them that they did not need any immunizations. Luckily, they were actually excited to go and get a sticker.
Well, the nurse came in and informed me that Taylor needed to get a second Chicken Pox vaccine, and that we may as well get Ginny's kindergarten shots taken care of. Needless to say, they were not happy!
I decided that Taylor should go first, since she's older and only needed one..... BAD IDEA! I thought that she was going to pass out. She was shaking, hyperventilating, and kept pulling away from the nurse. I had to hold her on my lap. When the needle actually went in, she freaked! After it was done, I happened to look over at Ginny. She was backed into the corner, shaking, crying, and covering her eyes. (She was peeking out and watching though).
Ginny of course, was not going to take her turn. I had to pick her up, and hold her on my lap too. Luckily, she listened to the nurse, and didn't pull away. Again, she freaked out. You would have thought that we were operating on them while they were awake! I then looked over at Tay, and she was watching Ginny's needles and hyperventiliating again.
I totally blame DJ for the drama. He comes close to passing out everytime he sees a needle. He had to have blood drawn for insurance, and had to lay down and suck on a piece of candy in order to survive.
Poor Reese just was staring at the girls wondering what in the world was going on. The Dr then told them that they didn't need anymore shots until they were 11. I guess that she forgot about flu shots.... I am dreading October. Poor Ginny spent most of the day yesterday with a 104 degree fever, and her joints were achey. She kept telling me that she doesn't want to turn 11.
I was pretty grouchy by the time we headed home. I'm making DJ take them for their flu shots! I am very glad that we got that over with!

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I love the drama! I refuse to take the kids to the doctor at the same time cause I've gone through almost the same thing! Caiser can't hold my hand for the epidural, watch our kids birth, or cut the cord, so you can imagine my kids!

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey said...

How sad!! I can't believe how lucky I am with my kids; Ellie & Ben haven't cried for shots since they were 18 months old---let's hope that keeps up!

Natalie said...

Oh, that is so funny! Kate had to get 5 shots before she went to pre-school. She WANTS to freak out, but is very concious of being embarassed, so she waited till we got to the car to cry. It was really sad. Then there is Sarah. She loves shots. She sits and watches the needle and doesn't even flinch. You'd think she would be a little more like Taylor. Tell your girls that if they lived with me, I would never make them get shots. I'm still laughing thinking of Ginny in the corner, but still not quite able to look away from the carnage.

Melissa said...

We had to take Nate to get a shot on Monday because he has poison ivy all over his body. I even put EMLA cream (numbing) on his butt first. But that kid started bawling the moment the doctor left the room. I guess I am a mean mom-nurse, because I just flipped him over on his belly and held him down. After they had taken the needle out of his butt he kept asking if it was over... silly boy. So I hear ya, kids and shots are NOT fun! There a a few tricks you can try for next time...I'll let you know later

Richelle said...

The part that gets me is that your kids look at you like you have completely betrayed them! I've done the same thing before-- told them "no shots today" and then sadly I've been wrong. For Kindergarten shots, Landon sat there screaming and repeating..."please mom, I love you, I love you, I love you...don't make me do this." I really felt like Mother of the Year :-)