Saturday, July 12, 2008

Good Idea Gone Bad


One of our favorite Summer activities is going to the drive in. We try to go atleast once every season. On Thursday, we decided that we would go see Wall-E and Price Caspian. Reese was already tired, so we figured that she would be asleep by the time we got there, and we could just leave her to sleep in her carseat. We were wrong! The kid would NOT go to sleep! We tried letting her hang out with the girls in the back of the van, sitting on our laps, sitting in her carseat... nothing would work. When people are parked right next to you, you can't just let her cry it out. We finally put her in her carrier and swung the thing back and forth for about 15 minutes. By the time she crashed, the movie was 3/4 of the way over and I had no clue what was going on.
Well, once she was asleep we figured that we could enjoy the second movie, so DJ went to buy some pretzels. As soon as the show started, she woke up and just started bawling. I then packed up the stuff and as soon as DJ got back to the car, we went home. We were all disapointed, except Ginny, who fell asleep as soon as Wall-E ended.
For any of you who may decide to try this adventure, I came up with a few drive in tips.
  1. Don't show up too early. If you wait a bit, then you can determine who you park next to, which brings me to my next tip...
  2. I suggest parking by a modest sedan, minivan, or suburban. They are usually filled with decent families enjoying a night out.
  3. DONT park next to an old neon/escort/malibu/ pimped out anything/or monster truck... they are usually filled with loud drinker smokers, who let their kids run around the whole time.
  4. If you do happen to be next to the above said people, only say something about their annoying behavior if you either want to get knifed, or you you brought your own knife and are ready for a brawl.
  5. The drive in is on Redwood Rd, in the heart of West Valley.... Enough said.

Basically, if you are up for a fun filled evening, the drive in will do it. I grew up in the ghetto, so I like to revisit my childhood days every once in a while. If we decide to venture out again, I will probably be calling one of you to babysit Reese, so thanks in advance!!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

HA! That's funny! We have a drive-in here in a small town. We've been a couple of times and you are right - park next to families that look like you! Or else you're in trouble. Remember when mom and dad would take us to the drive-in and hope we were asleep by the second movie because it was nasty? Like "Stripes" and "Halloween." Good times at the drive-in. I have many memories there.

Kristin said...

I absolutely love that you even attempted this adventure! I love the drive-in, but haven't been for a long time, now I know why. I'm up for watching Reese next time, I love your girls!
P.S. Caiser and I lived in the apartments right next to the drive-in when we were first married, so I have plenty of experience in the gheto too!
P.S.S. You and DJ did awesome today, sitting in the chapel does have its perks, you can actually focus on the talks, or at least I try to look like I am listening(only because it feels like the bishopric is staring at us the entire time)! But I did listen today, it was great!