Saturday, July 5, 2008

Schools Out For Summer (thanks Alice Cooper)!

Taylor finished the 2nd grade on Tuesday, and summer officially started at our house on Wednesday!

I'm a mean Mom.... I made Taylor spend her first morning of Summer pulling weeds. Ginny was supposed to be helping, but basically played in the dirt. She is becoming quite the little helper. I told DJ that I'm going to "home school" her, and put her to work everyday. I could double my productivity at home. (Very tempting).

After I decided that they had earned their keep, they started out their vacation by spending the day playing on the slip and slide, and playing in our white trash swimming pools. I have found over the years that I am reluctant to get out the kiddie pool too often, because I hate having to drain it every day, then refill it the next all summer long. I went and bought some collapsable bins at Costco, and they each get their own to "swim" in. They actually LOVE them! They like to fill them up in the morning, and let them warm up a bit in the sun. They call them their hot tubs. It could be worse, when I was a kid, we used to put a big garbage sack in our garbage cans and fill them with water. The black sacks helped the water heat up quicker, making for a nice relaxing soak. (Gross, I know, but I had such a fun childhood)!

We finished the day with a nice barbecue, then set up the tent in the backyard. We brought out the portable DVD player and watched Spiderwick Chronicles (very fun movie). I slept out with Taylor and Ginny, while DJ slept inside with Reese. We made it until 5 am, and I finally made the girls come inside with me so that I could get a few hours of decent sleep.

Luckily, Reese slept until 8 am, had a bottle and then went back to sleep until 11!!! I LOVE that baby. I had to keep checking on her to make sure that she was okay. She looked so peaceful that I had to take a picture. Ginny later crashed on the floor while we were setting up her new room. (more on that another post).

The girls have basically been partying ever since. Too bad it's back to school at the end of July... unless of course I decide to "home school" Taylor.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I love the 'white trash' swimming pools, at least you have something for them. And I am WAY impressed with the camp out, we don't even own sleeping bags! I liked the 'home school' idea at first, but then I remembered how my 'first day of summer' went, I had to threaten my kids with 'day care' for the next 3 weeks, and hold myself back from beating them or using some not good language on them! So...I've decided I love school!

Natalie said...

I know I'm terrible with song lyrics, but isn't that song "School's out FOREVER?" I think I might be right. I'm with you on the blow-up pool. I have to drain and move it every night because I don't want to kill the grass or have anything gross incubating in the old water. Send Taylor our way! Sarah has become such a good worker that between the two of them, I'd never have to work again!

Richelle said...

I'm with you...I grew up swimming in canals and bridge jumping, and I survived. Today we are scared to let our kids run through "secondary" sprinkler water! I'm a big fan of your mom-made swimming pools. It just goes to show you that it doesn't take much to entertain kids ;-) What a fun mom you are!!!