
I never thought the day would come, that one of my girls would choose comfort over style.
Last night, Ginny was getting ready for bed. She was struggling to get her super cute, and stylish skinny jeans off. She got really frustrated and asked me why I had to buy those kinds of clothes. She told me that she only likes "soft" clothes. I then asked what she meant by soft, and she annoyingly replied, "You know, like sweats! I wish that you would just buy me all of the sweats from the store, so that I could wear them everyday!" (Gasp)!
What's next, character shoes with blinking lights? (I know that kids love them, but I can't get myself to give into those)!
Well, I guess I could save a ton of money by purchasing all sweats. Heck, maybe the whole family should make the switch... just as long as they have elastic at the ankles! (Just picture DJ sporting a pair, that's enough to make me laugh)!!
That reminds me... several years back, my Dad had been going to the gym regularly. He of course needed some gym clothes, so he took an old pair of sweats, and cut them off. We tried telling him that he was cutting them too short, but of couse he wouldn't listen to his "know it all" kids. They ended up being TOTAL daisy dukes, it was hilarious! What I wouldn't give for a photo of that! I hope that image also makes you smile!!
3 comments:
Kids are sapposed to look a little ratty from time to time. As long as they're clean and cute, who cares? Let Ginny wear sweats if she wants to. It fits her personality. By the time you have your 8th child, you won't care anymore anyway, so why not relax a bit? Just make yourself cute, and let the kids wear what they want. People will see their mama and know that she's just letting them express themselves, as opposed to letting them look like scrounges (even I, however, draw the line at "character" shoes). There is a difference, you know. Like Kate running up the street in her cowboy boots and boy pants yesterday to see the lunar eclipse. And her fat pregnant mom running after her to make sure she doesn't step in the 12 inch deep potholes full of mud (yes, we live on a dirt road). THAT is an example of scroungy mom and scroungy kids. People wouldn't think that about you Ginger. I already think you've made giant strides in buying your children Wal-Mart Hannah Montana shirts. The downward slope to scroungy kids is not far away. It's pretty relaxing, actually. Come join the club!!
I hate character shoes as well, but they make my kids so happy that this is what I do: I let them get character snow boots (how often do they actually use them?!), and in the summer, they get a pair of good sandals and a pair of cheapy sandals they get to choose (these ones are for helping in the garden or wearing at the park). This way, they have decent shoes when in public and they get to enjoy their scroungy shoes in the privacy of our backyard. Keeps them happy!
Don't give in! It's a slippery slope. One day you let them wear sweats and character shoes . . . the next day you're all in stained wife-beater shirts, bag of flamin' Cheetoes in hand, screaming at each other in WalMart and getting home-made NASCAR tattoos in a dimly-lit garage from some guy named Bubba.
Post a Comment