Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Biggest News of All!



It's official ... Taylor is now a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! Our Tay was baptized on Saturday January 5th. It was such a wonderful day for all of us!! She was so excited for her big day. (So much so, that she got a cold sore a few days before)! DJ and I are so proud of her.
It was such a neat program. She was the only kid being bapized, so we were able to have family members do the all of the talks and prayers. Her favorite part was when her Granny helped Ginny sing a special song for her big day. It was so cute! Ginny wasn't the least bit scared! She knew all of the words, but once she got up there, she kept on getting distracted by all of her family!
I was so proud that DJ was able to baptize and confirm her. He was so excited to do it!
After she came out of the water, I took her back to change. She was just crying, so I asked her if she was scared. She then told me that she was just so happy! I almost lost it at that point. How great that a little 8 year old can recognize that what she chose to do is so important. Taylor is truly an amazing girl. I am constantly wondering how I got a child with such a strong and kind spirit, and I have finally come up with 2 reasons. 1 - She is so much like her Dad (luckily), and 2 - She is here to help me to be a better Mother. I know that I should be the one to be the example, but Taylor definatley encourages me to do better. She has been so excited to read her new Book of Mormon, so we have decided to do it together. She wants to read it by the end of the year, so I decided that we would take turns reading to eachother. She has been doing great when it comes to understanding what it is she is reading, I can't believe it! Ginny just flips through her kids version, looking at the pictures. Ginny also claims that her princess book is a Book of Mormon as well. What a joy to be able to do this together. I am really excited.
Luckily, most everything went smoothly. While getting ready for her big day, I determined that DJ would need some new white pants. He claimed that he could still fit into his white pants from his mission. This I did not want to see, and I'm sure that no one else did either, so I bought him some new ones. (DJ has a torso that is probably twice as long as most, so I figured that one of the ward's jumpers wouldn't look too pretty either). As some of you may know, the pants that you buy at the Distribution Center are not hemmed. The night before, at about 11:30, I figured that I better hem his pants. I determined how long to make them, and had them pinned up. For some reason, I wasn't thinking, and just decided to cut through all of the layers at once. I hadn't unfolded the bottom, so I ended up cutting off about 4 inches more than I should have! I was sick to my stomache when I realized what I had done! I ended up having to do a tiny little hem, that was only folded up once. So if any of you thought that his pants looked too short, that is why! We were afraid that he would have to wear baptism capri's. (is that okay)? It was too funny!
After Tay's baptism, we also blessed our little Reese. She looked so cute in her little white dress. I got her to sleep right before her big moment, so she just slept through the whole thing! DJ did such a beautiful job. He was nervous that between the baptism, confirmation, and blessing, that he would get things mixed up. He didn't though!
The day ended up being perfect! The only thing missing was my sister Natalie, and her family. They live up in Oregon, and had just visited over Thanksgiving. We missed having them here. Tay would have loved for Sarah and Kate to be here! Maybe by the time Ginny is baptized, I will be rich enough to fly them down! (I'm still waiting to win the Publisher's Clearing House)!
DJ reminded me that the next time Tay will have a white dress on, it will be her wedding dress. That made me bawl like baby. ( Thanks DJ)! Tay wants to go on a mission though, so I told him that her next white dress will be her temple dress. Besides, I'm not letting my girls get married until they are at least 30!!
They are growing up too fast!!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

So, if D.J. would have worn the jumper (like Neal did), his long torso would have created quite the pickle toe. I like the idea of baptism capri's. That's what you get for waiting till the 11th hour to hem.

I wish we could have been there for Tay's baptism and Reese's blessing. Tay is awesome! You'll have a great time reading the Book of Mormon with her. It's a good habit to start. Talk to you later!

Anonymous said...

It really was an amazing day! Taylor is so mature for her age, Steve kept saying how sweet and 'in tune' with the Spirit she already is - you two are wonderful parents!
Thanks for letting us be a part of your special day for two of your beautiful girls!
We love you guys!

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

I love that little Taylor so much! Thanks for letting me be a part of such a neat baptism.

Brian did the same thing when he went to baptize his brother-in-law-put on his temple pants from when we got married, and he was slim and very cut, and they were really tight in the crotch region. They weren't floods, but his boys weren't too happy.