Thursday, January 24, 2008

Poor Reese!

Reese is now 4 months old, which as most of you probably know.... Vaccine time! She had her checkup on Tuesday, and weighs in at 13 lbs, 2 oz. She's in the 50% for weight (my biggest baby), 60% for height , and 45% for head. She had to have 3 shots, and she also recieved a newer Rotovirus vaccine by mouth. Well, since I've gone the vaccine route twice before, I kind of just sign the forms and let the nurse do her thing. When I got home I noticed that I hadn't recieved any information about the new vaccine. Later that evening Reese got the usual fever, but started crying a ton, and spitting up like crazy! She had a hard time sleeping that night, and continued her barfing and crying the next day. I finally hopped online and found that the FDA initially denied approval for the vaccine due to a large number of infants getting intestinal twisting. They decided to approve the vaccine, and stated that they would keep a close eye on it for the next 3 years. Yeah, that makes me feel confident! Luckily she was doing a bit better today. Next time I will be sure to ask a few questions, and do some homework. Also, a heads up to any other Mom's whose kids under 3 may get the vaccine... you can actually catch Roatvirus from your babies poop, after they get the vaccine. (Rotavirus causes severe diarreah, that can be harmful to infants. Most kids under 5 usually get it at some point, so they decided to create a vaccine for it).
Anyway, I learned my lesson. I'm just glad that Reese is gradually getting back to her normal self. I just have to keep an eye on the color of her spitup for the next 2 weeks.... fun stuff!!

3 comments:

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

That is the cutest picture of Baby Reese!

Trisha said Azure has has the Rotovirus vaccine and no bad side effects. Also, Azure has gotten a liquid vaccine by mouth every well-child check up visit. Addison has not, so I doubt she's ever received this rotovirus one; I will ask her Doctor at her next visit in April.

Glad to hear things are getting better, sick babies make me sad, especially ones I love!

Natalie said...

I would be kind of ticked off if they didn't give me the forms. That's too bad. Kate always got little fevers after her vaccines. I'll have to remember the rotovirus one.

Anonymous said...

Poor Reese!
I would be upset too - glad to hear that she is feeling better.